Delaware NORML supports the RESPONSIBLE use of Marijuana. Please follow the Five Principles for Responsible Marijuana Use – as adopted by NORML
1. Adults Only – Cannabis consumption is for adults only. It is irresponsible to provide cannabis to children.
2. No Driving – The responsible cannabis consumer does not operate a motor vehicle or other dangerous machinery while impaired by cannabis, nor (like other responsible citizens) while impaired by any other substance or condition, including some medicines, as well as fatigue.
3. Set and Setting – “Set” refers to the consumer’s values, attitudes, experience and personality, and “setting” means the consumer’s physical and social circumstances. The responsible cannabis consumer will be vigilant as to conditions – time, place, mood- and does not hesitate to say “no” when those conditions are not conducive to a safe, pleasant and/or productive experience.
4. Resist Abuse – Use of cannabis, to the extent that it impairs health, personal development or achievement, is abuse, to be resisted by responsible cannabis users.
5. Respect Rights of Others – The responsible cannabis user does not violate the rights of others, observes accepted standards of courtesy and public propriety, and respects the preferences of those who wish to avoid cannabis entirely.
“Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an indivdual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marijuana in private for personal use.”
President Jimmy Carter, August 2, 1977